Wood Window Replication, Michigan State University, Lansing, Michigan
Cook Hall was built in 1889, functioning as the first agricultural laboratory at the Michigan Agricultural College. This historic piece of the campus was named after Albert John Cook, a professor who taught for over 25 years at MSU. When constructed, it was the first of seven buildings which were erected to create “Laboratory Row,” and today is the oldest collection of buildings on campus.
Cook Hall’s architectural style reflects a reserved but highly creative interpretation of the Queen Anne, Romanesque revival and neo-classical styles of that time. Cook Hall has been in continual use since its construction, undergoing occasional remodeling of interior space and exterior maintenance, but in 2009 it became time to upgrade the windows.
The current windows were functional, but difficult to operate and missing hardware. The exterior brick mould sills were in need of repair or replacement. BlackBerry decided replication using an aluminum thermally broken window product was the best option. The buildings on Laboratory Row are high-profile and MSU had a desire to maintain the architectural integrity.
BlackBerry supplied and installed the Traco 9700 Historic Single Hung window, paired with a custom exterior panning to match the existing brick mould. The project also included the use of the TR-7100 fixed and NX-350 projected, with PPG Duranar custom color paint finish and PPG Solar Ban 60 low-e/argon, ¾” insulated glass. The finished product is well functioning and historically correct.
Today, Cook Hall is used by students in various departments within the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, while graduate students in the Department of Agriculture Economics use it as office space.