Wood Window Replication
The Cary Building was built by Frank M. Cary, a Detroit real estate speculator. Detroit architect Richard Raseman designed the building that was completed in 1906. The construction of this structure, located at 229 Gratiot Ave, began a transformation of Broadway (then called Miami Avenue) from an upper-class residential area into a fashionable commercial district. This five-story building is designed in the Beaux-Arts architectural style and faced with brick. The original design includes recessed Chicago-style windows on each floor made of first growth Michigan white pine. The building was included on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
- The original windows were found to be deteriorated beyond the opportunity for restoration. The building design called for replication using custom mahogany windows. This included a true weight and pulley operation and the use of high-performance insulated glass to provide an energy-efficient window product.
- Provided a Historic Window Site Review to assist in the Federal Tax Credit approval.
- Provided custom design and millwork details to meet architectural requirements of the local Historic District, SHPO, and NPS.
- Supplied and installed 49 openings with fully finished exact wood historic replicated windows. Included exterior painted finish and interior stained and urethane finish.
- All profiles were replicated to match existing components including material profiles within 1/8″ of original dimensions.
- Owner: 1301 Broadway LLC/Bedrock Management Services LLC
- Architect: Kraemer Design Group
- Construction Management: Colasanti Construction
- Completed 2014