Commercial Wood Window Restoration, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Built in 1888, with a major restoration and addition in 1909. At its prime, the building operated as a department and grocery store selling meats, teas, coffees, crockery, glassware and hardware. Both the 1888 and 1909 additions were restored in 2007, which brought the complex to 36,611 square feet.
Due to the extent of deterioration, both buildings had to be rebuilt from the inside out. The two original buildings were restored and an addition was added which featured a 1930’s style façade and an aluminum façade. Nelson Breech Nave provided the architectural services that revitalized this historical building in the heart of Kalamazoo’s downtown.
The project was the winner of the 2008 Southwest Michigan AIA Merit Award and the 2009 Kalamazoo Historic Preservation Commission Merit Award. The building was in very poor condition prior to the renovation. It required extensive masonry and lintel repair, as well as full removal of the existing windows which were beyond repair.
BlackBerry provided full replica mahogany double hung wood windows. All components exactly matched the original details of the existing windows. New insulated glass with high performance low-e/argon was included. Likewise, all units used a pulley, weight, and chain balance system.
The exterior was painted with a two-tone finish to match historically, and the interior was stained and urethane finish. Inside and out, the windows add to the beauty and historic charm of this downtown landmark.